When you step out of the house, your clothes advertise much about you. Along with your face and hair, you clothing is one of the first things people will notice and they will judge you quickly on first impressions. When you are at work and about town, it is important to present a confident and capable appearance.
One would think that today’s modern man would have good fashion sense already locked away in his brain, but one good look around will tell you differently. Every day, men are committing fashion suicide and this could be costing them at job interviews, meetings with the in-laws, or trying to get that all important phone number from Heather. Don’t be that man. Follow these simple rules:
1. Don’t look like you tried too hard. Unless you have a part time job as a clown entertaining at children’s birthday parties, keep your look simple by not wearing more than three major colors. Also, keep the jewelry count low. There is only one Mr. T and you are not him. A good rule is one ring per hand and one necklace only.
2. Take a friend. When you go shopping for your wardrobe, take a friend. Even better if the friend you take is a woman. You want an honest opinion of what looks good on you from somebody else’s view point.
3. Don’t overlook your shoes. I have heard that women will judge you by your shoes. I’m not sure how true this is…but why take chances. They seem to have a “thing” for shoes, as evidenced by how many pair they usually own. Check for dirt, scuffs, frayed laces, etc. Take the extra time to make sure your shoes are in top shape. Do not leave the house with ratty shoes.
4. Sandals are for the beach. Don’t wear them out of earshot of the surf. Nobody wants to see your ugly feet and toes. If you insist on wearing sandals and think you can pull off a slick look…please, please, please do not wear socks, with them.
5. Don’t spend too much. In other words, don’t buy an article of clothing just for the brand name or the logo. You can find other brands that are just as good for less money. You can further enhance your wardrobe with the money you save.
6. Keep the PJs in the bedroom. Do not ever wear your pajamas out and about. I don’t care if this is the latest fad and everyone else is doing it…you should not. Some women can get away with this…most women can’t. Men can never pull this off.
7. Hats. Seems every guy is wearing ball caps these days. Ball caps are fine…but take them off when your not “playing”. If you are not wearing shorts or jeans, you shouldn’t be sporting a ball cap. Also, remove your hat indoors. This is a rule that never goes out of style. Don’t wear your cap in a restaurant, movie theater, church, etc.
8. Look behind you. Don’t forget to check out your backside in the mirror. You don’t want to wear pants that give you a baggy butt.
9. Underwear should stay under. Nothing looks sloppier than several inches of boxer shorts sticking out of the top of your pants. Keep your pants around your waist…and your underwear in your pants. Wear a belt for crying out loud!
10. Dress for the occasion. You wouldn’t show up for a job interview in shorts and T-shirt, would you? Make sure that you wear the right clothes for the right occasion. When in doubt, it is far better to over dress than under dress. Where a necktie. If that makes you over dressed, you can take it off and stuff it in a coat pocket for a quick dress down.
You may not be a fashion model, but follow these simple fashion rules and you will not fail. You will look sharp and, in turn, you will feel confident…and that, my friend, is the point. Look better, feel better.