Let’s face facts here. When it comes to picking out the best clothes to wear, men are considered, and rightly so, to be less fashion-conscious of the two sexes. Now for the good news, that is starting to change with more fashion designers showing off all new designs and collections on their runways. It doesn’t hurt that men are beginning to realize that looking good doesn’t exactly hurt their chances with women or their careers either.
Unfortunately for some guys, fashion is something that happens to other people. Expecting a guy who less than marginable fashion sense to know why a Hawaiian shirt is the best thing to wear to a job interview or a high school reunion is likely to end in disappointment and probably a few more than embarrassing looks and stares.
So, for the benefit of bad dressing guys reading this, here are a few of the most basic of mistakes guys make when entering the frightening sphere of fashion.
- Sandals with socks – Stay away from this fashion no-no at all costs. It is an all together fashion mess. No women will find you attractive. You’ll begin to notice that your friends call you less and less and strangers won’t even want to stand near you with this foot fashion faux paus. If your love for sandals is this strong then move somewhere warm that you can wear sandals year round.
- Novelty Ties, shirts, or boxers – This is another fashion mess that men just don’t seem to notice or maybe not care. Why would you sacrifice your dignity for the sake of making someone laugh from a “funny t-shirt”? It isn’t worth it, in my opinion. I would much rather be known for being stylish and a good dresser than the guy who wears shirts with funny sayings on them. So with that, throw out all those clothes with smiley faces, hearts, reindeer, shamrocks, and animal prints and buy something nice.
- Shiny shirts and suits – Come on…for real? Unless you are going to be a backup dancer in a musical then there should be no reason why you should even own a shiny shirt or suit much less wear one out in public. I can think of about a hundred different fashion choices you could go to the club in than a glittery, shiny and REALLY tacky shirt. What’s wrong with a simple form fitting black t-shirt or black dress shirt? Pair it up with some nice jeans or trousers and you’ll have no problem being noticed in a good way.
- Ugly colors – You can look like Brad Pitt with the fashion sense of a George Clooney but if you’re wearing some ugly colored clothes no one will care who you look like. That great looking new suit you bought for you Christmas party this year may have been expensive but if it makes you look like one of the staff or something from the 70’s, then I’m sorry but you paid too much. The color of your clothes needs to compliment your best natural features like eye color, skin tone and body shape.
- Overly loose fitting clothes – Clothes that are really loose or baggy make you look sloppy and like a bum. Unless you rap or own your own hip hop label, which you probably don’t, then you need to stay away from this fashion mistake. Instead buy clothes that actually fit you. You’ve been working out so why not buy some clothes that show it off. Try experimenting mixing and matching certain cuts and styles until you comes across the perfect fit and look.